Last weekend I had special treat – I got my fortune read by a Hindi Holy man. Now let me be clear – I am a highly rational person. I have never believed in fortunes or mystical readings of this nature. However, I am an extremely curious person and I couldn’t resist the idea of being involved in another culture’s mystical tradition. So basically, this Hindu guru used my birthday and his special “technique” to reveal things about my past and predict my future. Now this guy has a history of extremely accurate predictions with various people I spoke to who were reliable sources. He definitely has something special in his abilities. I went into it open minded because of this. So here’s what he said, followed by my commentary in italics, and finally, a prediction rating J.
- · I have come to Nepal on my own terms. No one has forced me to do this and there was no pressure to come here. I came to see how another culture lives and takes those ideas back home. Nothing crazy insightful here, but absolutely correct. However, I don’t know many Westerns that are forced to come to Nepal. I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt though. 4/5 stars
- · I recently broke up with a serious girlfriend who was very close to me. Yes and no- it depends on what your definitions of “recent” and “serious” are. My last real serious relationship was nearly a year ago, so if a year is still recent then he is correct. I have had a few romances since, but nothing that lasted a long time. From his words though, I think he probably meant something more like my last real girlfriend. It is a breakup that still affects me a lot to this day so maybe that still counts for something. 2.5/5 stars.
- · I have a younger sister. Yup! Dead on with that one, and he didn’t ask about any other siblings. That was a pretty good one. 5/5 stars.
- · I have parents that love me very much and show they care about me. I lived with my parents at home. Absolutely right! I guess anyone could really guess this loving one, but he was right about where I lived and that’s pretty good. 4/5 stars.
- · I am a deeply religious/spiritual person. I have a lot of spiritual wisdom. Debatable. I can’t really rate this one because I’m not so sure about what I feel about myself in that way. It needs an outside rating. What do you think?
- · Shail is very lucky to have me as a friend because of my wisdom. I’ll take that one alllllll day. Damn STRAIGHT! 5/5 stars
- · The next girl I meet who I am serious with will be very special. I will be with her for at least 8 years. That’s cool with me.He didn’t specify when that would be exactly of course! 5/5 stars
- · Eventually I will marry this girl and I will have a son within 3 years of getting married. She will be beautiful both in personality and physical looks. Yowza… sounds great to me. Let’s hope the marriage is at the end of the 8 years, I still have a lot of living to do. Or maybe she will just be adventurous as I am.4/5 stars depending on when I get married.
- · I will be very successful in my work and make millions. Of rupees? That sounds about right – 5 million rupees is about $60k a year. I’d be fine with that. 10/5 stars.
- · I will respect my parent’s wishes in regards to where my future living place is. Yes, I would for the most part. The good thing is they support me for wherever I want to go for the most part. 3/5 for lack of specificity.
- · FINALLY the biggest bombshell. I would be very happy if I marry a Nepali wife. Hahaha yes I’m sure I would. From what I’ve seen, Nepali women are beautiful both physically and in their demeanor. I can’t see a lot of scenarios how that would work at the moment… but you never know. Like Billie Holiday says… “When love comes, nothing can be done.” 5/5 stars
In conclusion, everyone likes it when good things are said about you. Also, I believe fortunate tellers are amazing at understanding human psychology, and yes, manipulating it. That being said, I’m not going try to disavow these predictions, nor am I going to start believing them. I love these kinds of mystical practices because they are a real glimpse into human nature. They answer questions like these: What do we want? What are we really afraid of? What are we insecure about? Where do our values lie? How far will we go to appease others? What do we think about most? These are the true lessons from mystical readings that we can learn.
Despite all of that, I wouldn’t mind if a few of mind came true. Until my next reading…
Hanging out with some friends in Hattiban
Arluv and Rita… mother and son 🙂